Monday, June 6, 2011

The Power and the Glory Final Piece

A/N: This is the written component to our/my final project for The Power and the Glory. The book was much about making a decision and staying strong to your convictions. So we did a video asking people really tough questions that made them think and we ourselves had to answer a scenario in written form where neither of the choices would be ideal normally.



People almost always hold strong to their convictions whether they know it or not. Although people's convictions can be put to the test when a situation comes into play where neither option is one that would wanted to be taken. In the book the priest has to follow his convictions just like in life each person has to follow their own and stay true to what they believe.

It is just another ordinary day in your Language Arts class, and every thing is going normally or so I think. Just listening to the lecture that my Language Arts teacher is giving the class and all or the sudden I hear the announcements come on signaling the lock down drill right as some one slips into the room. "Lock the door." The man says. Since the creep is holding a gun one of my classmates quickly scurries to the door and does exactly as told. The man walks up to me and hold the gun up to my head all the while causing me to tremble. He then gives me a choice. "Either pick one of the people in this room to die or I will kill you followed by every other person in this room."

This decision makes life hard. Either way some one is going to die but how many is determined by my choice that I am being forced to make. Every person in this room has a value in life and to let them all die would be a shame but to be responsible for the death of one of these people that I have grown up with and known for almost ten years. This position is one that I wish I wasn't forced to be in.

Weighing the decisions with each and every person in the room looking at me with a worried face, I wish that someone or anyone could tell me what to do. Although this will never happen and the decision is mine and only mine. If every person dies that is the loss of about thirty people that could have made a huge difference in the world. However what would happen if the one person that dies was going to be the most important person in the future, this I just don't know.

Looking back and forth at the options I have in my mind I just don't know what to do I feel like melting down and just crying right here and now but that isn't one of the options I have been given. Frantically searching my mind for a loop hole I find none. There is nothing left for me to consider, I have to pick one or the other. The regret that will take over my form will be unending either way but knowing that I could have saved at least some of the people in the room that is the only way I can look at it.

I glance sideways at the man and tell him my decision of picking some one in the room to die. Before telling him who I mouth sorry to everyone in the class and hope that they are okay with my decision. I close my eye and point in the direction of where a bunch of people are sitting and here the gun shot and the man leave and I just crumble to the ground not knowing or caring who died but because I was the one who picked that they would die.

No comments:

Post a Comment